Director of Development (posted 1/15/2016)
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA) has need of an energetic and dedicated development professional to build on our current success and to develop sustainable funding for our growing organization. To date, MyRWA has had success in securing broad, diversified support from members, corporate partners, private foundations and government grants. Since 2008, revenues have increased five-fold and our programs continue to expand. The Director of Development will be called upon to create and execute an effective and systematic approach to fundraising while cultivating deeper relationships with existing and potential funders. This new position represents a unique opportunity for an experienced professional to leverage their skills in development, strategic planning and relationship-building to take our organization to the next level of impact and visibility.
- Work with the ED and Executive Committee to set and achieve annual funding goals
- Develop and implement strategies to increase funding
- Identify and develop corporate, community, foundation and individual prospects
- Institute practices that monitor and make transparent the success of the fundraising plan
- Lead the development of a “wealthy individuals” program – research and coordinate the “ask” both personally and by assigning various board or staff to each ask as appropriate
- Develop and maintain relationships with major donors including acknowledgement letters and other correspondence, premiums, newsletters, special mailings, telephone and in-person contact
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Oversee organization of special fundraising events
- Write grant proposals and budgets and reports for foundation and corporate fundraising
- Assist in integrating the Board of Directors directly into fundraising efforts
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3+ years experience in development (fundraising/donor relations), including highly developed fundraising research and messaging of fundraising requests.
- Experience in grant writing and proposal development.
- Proven track record with NGOs and demonstrated ability to raise funds, make presentations, organize direct mail activities, prepare foundations requests and coordinate an energetic professional staff.
- Superior project management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, flexibility, and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Energetic and self- directed work style.
- Capacity to collaborate with others in a working team.
- Strong commitment to protecting the environment and passion for the MyRWA’s objectives.
- Experience with donor database and fundraising software.
- A good sense of humor.
ABOUT THE MYSTIC RIVER WATERSHED ASSOCIATION
The Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA) is a 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1972 that has worked for over forty years to protect and restore the Mystic River, its tributaries and watershed for the benefit of present and future generations. MyRWA is engaged in scientific research, water quality monitoring, habitat restoration, greenways and park rehabilitation and environmental advocacy. We accomplish our mission by forging links with citizens’ groups, universities, businesses, and government agencies. MyRWA employs five staff, has 500 members and engages 1,200 volunteers annually. The organization has an annual budget of approximately $700,000. MyRWA’s dedicated staff performs outstanding work that is widely respected in the environmental community. MyRWA’s current trajectory presents an extraordinary opportunity for the right development professional to make significant impact - on the natural environment and on the future of our organization.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT MyRWA
- Opportunity for impact: MyRWA is the only environmental organization focused exclusively on transforming the urban 76 square mile Mystic River Watershed into a healthy, sustainable environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: As a small organization, we welcome innovation and are continuously improving. We encourage constant learning, honest feedback and ideas that challenge.
- Collaborative work environment: We work closely on a daily basis to realize the potential of the organization.
- Healthy work/life balance: We support every staff member in maintaining a wise balance between meaningful work, professional growth and a healthy personal life.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Health insurance, flextime and professional development opportunities also provided.
Start Date: April 2016 (negotiated).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Development” in the subject line. Application deadline is February 22, 2016 or until a suitable candidate is found. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed as received.