According to the Boston Globe article (1/19/2012) the following Mystic River Watershed communities will receive grant monies derived from two initiatives of the state’s energy and environment department:
- Chelsea -- Washington Park Redevelopment Project — $500,000 for the introduction of active recreation opportunities to the site, additional seating and gathering areas throughout the park, a linear trellis, additional plantings, new walking paths, retaining wall repairs, lighting, an irrigation system and the addition of 4,500 square feet of open space.
- Medford -- Hormel Stadium Athletic Field - $500,000 for the installation of new, high quality and well-draining soils, storm water management systems, high performance synthetic turf system and field markings.
- Revere -- Gibson Park Renovation Project — $140,000 for the addition of two new tennis courts, resurfacing of two existing courts, addition of an ADA accessible ramp from the parking lot, installation of ADA compliant sidewalks, replacement of fencing around tennis courts, replacement of a baseball backstop and the addition of a half basketball court.
- Somerville -- 15-25 Cross Street East Park Construction — $500,000 for the development of a new park that will include a social gathering space, play structures for older and younger children, a water play feature and a half-court basketball court.
- Woburn -- Whispering Hill Woods — $500,000 for the development of a new park that includes a multi-purpose natural turf field, a parking area and the restoration of an existing garage into a storage facility.
- Everett -- Glendale Park Renovation — $500,000 for the installation of a new synthetic field, athletic and pedestrian lights, irrigation and drainage systems, benches and trees, the rehabilitation of the walking paths, reconstruction of the entrance and tot lot.
- Everett — Northern Strand Community Trail -- $235,000 for the production of design and construction documents for the trail from the Malden line to Route 16 in Everett and a conceptual plan for the remainder of the path to the Everett-Chelsea line.