River clean-ups are a fun and rewarding experience! MyRWA typically hosts or partners with other organizations to participate in spring-time river clean-ups. If you would like to host a river clean-up please contact us and we’ll be sure to help spread the word!
Earth Day River Clean-up
Please join us for our annual Mystic River Earth Day clean-up on April 29th! We will be picking up litter and removing invasive plants from the park during this family stewardship event. Meet at the DCR Torbert MacDonald Park parking lot off of Mystic Valley Parkway/Route 16 in Medford. (Map) The event is also accessible by the MBTA Wellington Station on the Orange Line. All supplies are provided.
Saturday, April 29, 2017
9:00 a.m. - noon
DCR Torbert Macdonald Park, Medford
Additional clean-ups across the watershed:
Saturday, April 29th
- Friends of the Mystic River’s 22nd annual Mystic River Spring Cleanup, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Mystic Riverbend Park. Meeting at the Hormel Stadium lot, 90 Locust Street. Cleanup supplies will be provided. The cleanup will center on Mystic Riverbend Park, but participants may travel to any other location they wish along the Mystic in Medford. Morning and lunchtime refreshments provided. In the event of heavy rain on April 29, the cleanup will take place on Sunday, April 30. Contact: www.fomr.org, 781-391-2604 or Mystic02155@hotmail.com.
- The Medford Community Coalition’s third annual Medford Square Cleanup and Flower Planting, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Facebook Event
- MIT Geodetic Observatory Cleanup, in the Middlesex Fells from 9am to 12pm. You can find additional details at www.digitaltrailguides.com or send email to email@example.com
- Friends of Alewife Reservation annual Earth Day- Park Serve Day, 9am - 2pm at Alewife Reservation in Cambridge. Work tools, trash bags and gloves provided. Meet at DCR entry bridge behind Alewife MBTA stop. Call 617-290-4864 for more information.
Sunday, April 30th
- Mill Brook Cleanup in Arlington, 11AM to 2PM. Meet at Wellington Park, 46 Grove St. RSVP here!
Thinking about organizing a river clean-up?
Here are some things to consider: You’ll need gloves, trash bags, a dumpster or way to dispose of the garbage collected, and lots of volunteers.
Volunteers wanted in West Medford for ongoing monthly clean up of Lower Mystic Lake area. Join a dedicated group of neighbors who take turns cleaning up. Contact Barbara to get involved.
Friends of the Mystic River, a Medford-based community organization focused on the enjoyment, protection and enhancement of the Mystic River in Medford, often organizes river cleanups.