2017 Mystic River Photo Contest
Explore your Mystic! When you think about the “Mystic”, what comes to mind? It could be a scene, a description, or an unknown adventure… This time, define your own “Mystic,” and tell us the story.
Give us your best shot!
- High-resolution digital images in .jpeg format are accepted via email to PhotoContest@MysticRiver.org. The image should be sized to 800 pixels on the longest dimension.
- Photos may be black & white or color.
- Photos may be any orientation and dimension.
- Contest categories include People in Parks, Wildlife, Landscape, Recreation on the Water, and Best Overall.
- Email instructions: Email body must include: Your full name, phone number, date photo(s) taken (an estimate is okay), approximate location within the Mystic River Watershed, contest category and suggested caption(s). File name(s) needs to follow the format: “last name_submission number” (i.e. “Murphy_1”, “Murphy_2”)
Photo Contest Rules:
- The Mystic River Watershed Association’s 2017 Photo Contest is open to all with the exception of the contest judges and Mystic River Watershed Association staff.
- By entering MyRWA’s photo contest, you hereby grant to the Mystic River Watershed Association, (i) nonexclusive, irrevocable publication rights in all MyRWA publications, print or electronic, including cropping and resizing of the image(s), and (ii) the right to use your name, city and state of residence in such publications. All photographs will be credited.
- Each entrant may enter a maximum of ten photos. Submissions must be original photography.
- Photos must be taken in the Mystic River Watershed, Massachusetts and should capture one or more of these subjects: People in Parks, Wildlife, Landscape, Recreation on the Water (i.e. canoeing).
- Photos may have been taken at any time within the last three years.
- Your images must not:
- Be obtained by disturbing wildlife or damage to the environment by the photographer.
- Infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person.
- Entries must be submitted no later than 5:00pm on September 22, 2017 via email to PhotoContest@MysticRiver.org.
- Winners will be notified by October 23, 2017. Decisions by the judges are final.
- The winning photos will be published in various media and posted on www.MysticRiver.org. (All winning entries will be requested to provide the high resolution file for possible publication.)
- You must be able to provide detailed information about the location on request. We also need the written consent of anyone who is identifiable in a photograph, in the form of the following statement: “I hereby authorize the Mystic River Watershed Association to use my image or likeness in this photograph for any of MyRWA’s purposes, including in print and electronic format.” If your work is chosen, please be prepared to provide that statement, signed and dated with a legible printed name and address. In the case of minors, the authorization must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Prizes: Winning photos will be displayed at MyRWA events and posted on our website and social media. Gift certificates to local restaurants will be awarded to category winners and the Best Overall.
*For more information email PhotoContest@MysticRiver.org or call Beth at 781-316-3438.
Photo Contest Judges
Michael Fager - bio coming soon!
David Mussina is a Medford resident and long-time photographer of all things Mystic. bio coming soon!
Tom Whelan is an award-winning nature photographer and naturalist who specializes in close-up photography of plants and insects, portraits of wildlife, and intimate landscapes. His images range from abstracts of natural designs, to butterfly portraits, high magnification images of ice crystals, floral abstracts, and forest and waterfall scenes. His clients include the City of Aspen (Colorado), Trent University (Ontario), the North American Butterfly Association, the Boston Museum of Science, and others.