Water Quality Assistant
March 14 - June 21, 2017 - $15/hour
The Mystic River Watershed Association is engaged in a multi-year study of nutrient loading in the Mystic River watershed. From March through December, we collect water quality samples twice a month at a dozen locations in Medford, Malden, Winchester and Arlington.
We are looking for an assistant who can help with sampling surveys every other Tuesday morning, 7:00AM to 1:00PM, starting in late March and extending at least through June 21.
The assistant will need a car, and willingness and ability to sample from boat and canoe. Assistant will always sample with a partner, usually MyRWA's watershed scientist. Assistant will collect water quality samples using EPA-approved techniques; take readings with electronic instruments; and assist with data management. We can offer an hourly rate of $15.
To apply please send your resume to WQInternship@mysticriver.org with "spring assistant" in the subject line.
Invasive Species and Water Quality Internship
June 12 - Aug 25, 2017 (10 weeks work across 11 weeks) - Stipend provided ($3,000)
The Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA) seeks a motivated, well-organized and physically strong intern to assist in organizing an effort to remove invasive species from land and water, and to assist in water quality sampling and data management in a number of projects.
Responsibilities include organizing and leading invasive species removal events with corporations, community groups and the general public and directing and managing teams of volunteers – some in canoes. We will be removing the invasive vine Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus) from waterfront parks and water chestnut (Trapa natans) from the Mystic River. Event planning and organization begins in June; removal efforts will begin in late June with the majority of events occurring during the month of July and early August. This is an internship that combines being an enthusiastic leader and ambassador for our organization at public group events with outdoor, physically demanding work, including moving canoes and other gear and getting wet and dirty. Water quality work will include acquiring samples in the field, taking measurements with electronic devices, some lab work, and data management.
Intern will work both in and out of the office, and must be able to work independently and as a member of a team. This is a ~35 hour/week position with a stipend provided, with some time off. This is a great opportunity to be involved with a small non-profit doing work on behalf of the community and environment.
- Ability to navigate a canoe (canoe safety training provided)
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to swim
- Experience in public speaking
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal skills and great attitude
- Ability to work early mornings and weekends
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Excel
- Driver’s license and access to a car highly desirable (mileage is reimbursed)
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older
Additional desirable skills: First aid and CPR certified, life guard certification, experience driving a motor boat, background in environmental science, and experience in event planning. The Mystic River Watershed Association is an equal opportunity employer. Exact dates can be flexible depending on the candidate.
Deadline to apply is March 10, 2017. Applications reviewed as received. To apply send your cover letter and resume to WQInternship@MysticRiver.org with Summer Internship in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Communications & Event Planning Intern
The Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA) seeks a motivated and well-organized intern to assist in event planning, communications and marketing efforts. The intern will work closely with the Outreach and Communications Director and a volunteer committee.
Duties may include (to be agreed upon by supervisor and intern):
- Assist with event planning and promotion, including for park/river cleanups, tours and special 45th anniversary events
- Assist with development of social media content and strategy
- Assist with event documentation via photo, video and interviewing
- Research and development of a Mystic River Watershed Quest
- Development of a series of short marketing videos
Intern will work both in and out of the office, and must be able to work independently and as a member of a team. This is a 10-15 hour/week position with a flexible timeframe, depending on the candidate. This is a great opportunity to be involved with a small non-profit doing work on behalf of the community and environment.
- Organized and detail-oriented with experience in event planning
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated familiarity with social media platforms
- Confident and driven – must have ability to manage own time and have excitement to take on a project and run with it
- Driver’s license and access to a car highly desirable(mileage is reimbursed)
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older
Additional desirable skills: Video editing, photography, public speaking, First aid and CPR certified, background in environmental science. The Mystic River Watershed Association is an equal opportunity employer. Exact dates can be flexible depending on the candidate.
Deadline to apply is March 31, 2017. Applications reviewed as received. To apply send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Communications Internship in the subject line. No phone calls please.