be a champion
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP THE MYSTIC RIVER WATERSHED?
- Do not litter. Litter ends up in the sewers or in the rivers and streams.
- Minimize the use of fertilizers and pesticides, especially where run-off may occur, or practice organic lawn care.
- Conserve water. Excess water in the sewage system can lead to sewage overflows into our waterways.
- Always pick up pet waste, especially along river banks. Pet waste contains harmful bacteria that contaminates the rivers.
- Use rain barrels to capture rainfall to use on your lawn or garden.
- Never dump anything down storm drains – it drains directly to local waterways.
- Use non-toxic products whenever possible. Carefully store and dispose of household cleaners, chemicals, and oils.
- Take your car to the carwash instead of washing it in the driveway, where the suds will likely drain into a storm drain.
- Maintain clean, well swept driveways, side walks and roads to avoid debris entering storm drains.
- Share your knowledge with others!