WATER CHESTNUT REMOVAL PROJECT
Eradication efforts of water chestnut, an invasive plant clogging the Mystic River and elsewhere in the watershed, have been ongoing since 2010. MyRWA is aggressively combating water chestnuts by partnering with municipalities, local environmental organizations, boat clubs, corporations and community members to hand-pull the plant and obtain funding for a mechanical harvester.
Make a difference in your local community at a fun event on the Mystic River! We coordinate volunteers to hand-pull water chestnut from canoes. Three community water chestnut removal events were held this summer - thanks to all who attended!
Check out a time-lapse video of volunteers in action.
View EVENT PHOTOS here.
MyRWA can organize a fun and rewarding employee community service day for you! If you would like to get your workplace, community organization, church, club or neighborhood involved in water chestnut removal please contact Beth at 781-316-3438 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THANKS TO THE MANY HELPING HANDS THAT MAKE THIS WORK POSSIBLE!
MyRWA would like to thank the following for their support of water chestnut removal efforts in 2016:
- Abt Associates
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Athena Health
- Bank of America
- Biogen Idec
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA
- BNY Mellon
- Boston University of Virginia Alumni Association
- Charles River Canoe and Kayak
- CliftonLarsonAllen LLP
- City of Medford
- City of Somerville
- Friends of the Mystic River
- GE Aviation
- Groundwork Somerville
- Grove Street Advisors
- Highrock Church
- John Snow Inc.
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
- Medford Boat Club
- Mystic Wellington Yacht Club
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- New England Aquarium Live Blue Ambassadors
- Office of Congresswoman Clark
- Riverside Yacht Club
- Solitude Lake Management
- Standard and Poor
- Town of Arlington
- United Healthcare
- UU College of Social Justice
2014: We hosted 19 events in which 941 volunteers hand-pulled 6,603 baskets of water chestnuts, clearing 2.3 miles of the Mystic River. Event photos.