WATER CHESTNUT REMOVAL PROJECT
Photo by David Mussina. 8/4/12 water chestnut removal event at Blessing of the Bay Boathouse, Somerville, MA.
Eradication efforts of water chestnuts, an invasive plant clogging the Mystic River and elsewhere in the watershed, have been ongoing since 2010. MyRWA is aggressively combating water chestnuts by partnering with municipalities, local environmental organizations, boat clubs, corporations and community members. If you would like to get your workplace, community organization, church, club or neighborhood involved please contact the MyRWA office at 781-316-3438 or email email@example.com.
In 2014 we had 841 volunteers hand-pull more than 5,800 baskets of water chestnuts, not to mention thousands of tons removed by the mechanical harvester. This year's Community Water Chestnut Removal Events are complete, but you can view a time-lapse video and event photos here!
WHAT IS A WATER CHESTNUT?
Why is water chestnut a problem and how did it get here? Find out more about water chestnuts in the Mystic River Watershed here.
View 2014 community and corporate water chestnut removal event photos here!
THANKS TO THE MANY HELPING HANDS THAT MAKE THIS WORK POSSIBLE!
- AIR worldwide
- Boston Cares
- Boston University
- Boston Volunteer
- Chelsea Collaborative
- City of Medford
- City of Somerville
- Eagle Eye Institute
- FedEx Corporation
- Flatbread Pizza
- Friends of the Mystic River
- Gentle Giant Rowing Club
- Grace Church Medford
- Grant Thornton
- Groundwork Somerville
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
- Medford Boat Club
- Millennium/Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Mystic Wellington Yacht Club
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- New England Aquarium live blue™ Ambassadors & live blue™ Serve Corps
- Northeastern University Outing Club
- Redemption City Church
- Regina’s Pizzeria
- Riverside Yacht Club
- Team GreenSense, City of Cambridge
- Tufts University
- Whole Foods Market Medford
- Workers Compensation Research Institute