WATER CHESTNUT REMOVAL PROJECT
Photo by David Mussina. 8/4/12 water chestnut removal event at Blessing of the Bay Boathouse, Somerville, MA.
Eradication efforts of water chestnut, an invasive plant clogging the Mystic River and elsewhere in the watershed, have been ongoing since 2010. MyRWA is aggressively combating water chestnuts by partnering with municipalities, local environmental organizations, boat clubs, corporations and community members to hand-pull the plant and obtain funding for a mechanical harvester.
2015: 966 volunteers hand-pulled 4,280 baskets of water chestnuts! View event photos.
2014: 941 volunteers hand-pulled 6,603 baskets of water chestnuts plus 1,600 wet‐weight tons of plant material were removed by the mechanical harvester. View a time-lapse video and event photos here! Watch the Somerville Neighborhood News video.
If you would like to get your workplace, community organization, church, club or neighborhood involved in water chestnut removal in 2016 please contact the MyRWA office at 781-316-3438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT IS A WATER CHESTNUT?
Why is water chestnut a problem and how did it get here? Find out more about water chestnuts in the Mystic River Watershed.
THANKS TO THE MANY HELPING HANDS THAT MAKE THIS WORK POSSIBLE!
- Abt Associates
- Baker Newman Noyes
- Biogen Idec
- BNY Mellon
- Charles River Canoe and Kayak
- Chelsea Collaborative
- City of Cambridge
- City of Medford
- City of Somerville
- Constant Contact
- Environmental Business Council New England, Inc.
- Financial Architects Partners
- Friends of the Mystic River
- Genocea Biosciences
- Gerson Lehrman Group
- Groundwork Somerville
- Highrock Church
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
- Medford Boat Club
- Mystic Wellington Yacht Club
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Northeastern University Outing Club
- New England Aquarium
- Riverside Yacht Club
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
- Thomson Reuters Corporation
- Tufts University Environmental Alumni
- Wynn Resorts