Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Mystic River Watershed Association. For the first 27 years of its existence, all programs were volunteer-run! Today, we have a staff of 5, but we still cannot accomplish what needs to be done without the dedication and commitment of many volunteers.
- Watershed Clean-ups along the rivers and lakes bring volunteers together for a common cause are listed here.
- Herring Monitor opportunites available in Spring 2013. MyRWA volunteers will monitor river herring at the Mystic Lakes Dam in Medford to count herring and support our data collection so that we can estimate run size. Learn more about the Herring Monitoring Program and become a fish monitor today!
- Water Quality Monitors monitor the Mystic River and it's tributaries one day a month. The next Citizen Science Training Workshop schedule is here. There are also opportunities to assist in MyRWA's microbiology lab, process dissolved oxygen samples and assist with cyanobacteria sample processing.
- Organizational Support is occasionally needed for Data entry and office support as well as Periodic review of technical documents (e.g. Environmental Impact Reports). Opportunities also exist with mailing or IT support issues and train staff as needed (intermittent).
- Outreach & Education
- Help staff an information table at neighborhood festivals.Assist with planning events, including the our annual Mystic River Herring Run and Paddle.
- Become a Superfan! With a minimal commitment, you can help publicize MyRWA events in YOUR community.
- Create additional brochures, flyers, and other handouts to be used for educational and outreach purposes.
- Help organize/lead a nature walk or canoe trip.
- Advocacy & Policy volunteers help to serve on a committee or may contact elected officials or local watershed groups in support of our Mission.
MyRWA has two committees that work both independently and jointly: the Clean Water Campaign Committee and the Policy Committee. The Committees meet monthly with roughly half of the meeting dedicated to individual committee discussion, planning, and strategizing, while the rest of the meeting is devoted to the joint committee engaging in relevant discussion including occasional guest speakers. Please join us! Committee Meetings are free and open to the public. Please see our calendar for the next meeting date.
The Clean Water Campaign Committee brings together scientific knowledge and outreach skills to raise awareness of water quality issues in the Mystic River Watershed. The Committee develops and implements campaign strategies and tactics, and works with the media, community groups and elected officials to see improved water quality throughout the watershed. Read more about the Clean Water Campaign here. Chair: Beth MacBlane
The Policy Committee is charged with providing support to the Executive Director and Board of Directors on policy matters. The Policy Committee also tracks and responds to federal, state, and local projects and initiatives to protect MyRWA interests throughout the watershed. Chair: Lori Kennedy