Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Mystic River Watershed Association. For the first 27 years of its existence, all programs were volunteer-run! Today, we have a staff of 5, but we still cannot accomplish what needs to be done without the dedication and commitment of many volunteers.
Click here to fill out the Volunteer Request Form and a staff member will contact you about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
- River clean-ups are fun and rewarding! River and lake clean-ups are listed here.
- Invasive plant removal efforts typically occur in July and August. Read more about water chestnut removal efforts here.
- Spring opportunites available. Trained volunteers count river herring at the Upper Mystic Lake Dam in Medford to support data collection so that we can estimate run size. Learn more about the Herring Monitoring Program and become a fish monitor today!
WATER QUALITY MONITORING
- Monitor the Mystic River and it's tributaries one day a month. Training and all supplies are provided. The next Citizen Science Training Workshop schedule is here.
- Assist in MyRWA's microbiology lab
- Process dissolved oxygen samples
- Assist with cyanobacteria sample processing
- Data entry/other office support
- Periodic review of technical documents (e.g. Environmental Impact Reports)
- Help with a mailing
- IT support issues and train staff as needed (intermittent)
OUTREACH & EDUCATION
Help staff an information table at neighborhood festivals
- Assist with planning events, including the our annual Mystic River Herring Run and Paddle
- Become a Superfan! With a minimal commitment, you can help publicize MyRWA events in YOUR community
- Create additional brochures, flyers, and other handouts to be used for educational and outreach purposes
- Help organize/lead a nature walk or canoe trip
- Contact elected officials or local watershed groups
- Serve on our Policy or Clean Water Campaign Committee
- Create educational brochures, displays & other materials
- Photograph watershed sites and events
- Create and edit video content for our website and outreach purposes
Contact Us Today! Click Here to fill out the volunteer form.